Sunday, February 14, 2016

Outing #3 - Great Backyard Bird Count Weekend

02/12/2016

This year, the Great Backyard Bird Count runs from February 12th - February 16th. My plan is to survey the birds visiting my backyard feeders for at least one of the days of the GBBC weekend, and to make a trip to try to pick up an uncommon species from one or more locations around Wake County. According to the BirdsEye App, a Peregrine Falcon (reported on 1 in 554 checklists during winter) has been spotted in the Lake Raleigh area and along Mid Pines Road several times over the last two weeks. Lake Raleigh is a nice place to bird, based on past experience, and has had 70 species reported during the month of February over the last ten years, including several ducks that I have not picked up for this project yet, such as Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Ruddy Duck, Gadwall, and Wood Duck.

Even less commonly seen in Wake County than a Peregrine Falcon is a Tundra Swan (1 in 1663 checklists). Three Tundra swans were reported on four checklists on tFeb 8th at Lake Wheeler Marshes. No reports since then, but I have never been there before, so I might drive by to check it out.

Although I titled this entry "Outing #3", it's really a report of three different birding stints during the Great Backyard Bird Count weekend. I began at home on Friday, where I spent about 40 minutes watching birds come to my feeders. I saw a total of 15 species - mostly common birds - but did pick up three species not yet on the Wake County Project list. I note in parentheses how frequently each bird is reported on the eBird Wake County list. The most commonly reported bird on the list (which happens to be Northern Cardinal) would be designated as (1st). The least commonly reported bird (Cerulean Warbler) would be designated (310th).

36)  Brown Thrasher (25th)
37)  Red Bellied Woodpecker (5th)
38)  Brown Headed Cowbird (41st)

On Saturday, I decided to skip the cold of the morning and wait for it to at least get above freezing in the afternoon. I then headed off for Lake Raleigh in hopes of seeing the Peregrine Falcon. When I arrived, however, an event was taking place and the police had blocked off vehicle access to the Lake. I later learned that it was a 5K run for Special Olympics, followed by a polar plunge in the lake. Not a great time to be there trying to bird! Instead, I drove to Mid Pines Road, which is not too far from Lake Raleigh and is another place where the falcon had been reported several times.

Mid Pines road runs between Tryon Rd. and Lake Wheeler Rd. in southern Raleigh. The part of the road closest to Tryon Rd. is paved, but the second half of the road is not. The unpaved part passes by open fields and some NC State land dedicated to farming. There is a small pond near the intersection with Lake Wheeler Rd. There is also an overgrown parking lot near Tryon Rd. where I stopped and did some birding as well. But for the most part, I drove back and forth along the road, stopping when I saw birds of interest, and hoping to see the falcon. I was not successful. When I got home, I learned that a Peregrine Falcon had been seen that day in Durham County, so perhaps it has moved on to greener pastures. However, I did see 15 species in total, and three new species for the Wake County Project list.

39)  Red Tailed Hawk (39th)
40)  Killdeer (40th)
41)  American Kestrel (78th)

I was unable to visit Lake Raleigh on Saturday, so I tried again on Sunday afternoon. The weather forecast was for a high of only 30 degrees (-1 C), so I waited until afternoon to venture out. I still had a vague hope of seeing the Peregrine Falcon, but I knew my chances weren't great after learning that one had been seen in Durham. Instead, I focused my energies on ducks and other birds that were not yet on my list.

The lake did not disappoint! I only saw about 10 people the whole time I was there, and managed to see 33 bird species over a span of about two hours, including several new birds for the Wake County Project List. I was also able to pick up several aquatic species that I had hoped to find on my first outing to Lake Crabtree County Park.

42)  Mute Swan (114th)
43)  Ruddy Duck (46th)
44)  Belted Kingfisher (33rd)
45)  Bufflehead (65th)
46)  Lesser Scaup (86th)
47)  Wood Duck (80th)
48)  Pine Warbler (24th)
49)  Cedar Waxwing (67th)
50)  Gadwall (104th)

After this weekend, I have 130 species left to identify if I am to reach my goal of 180 species in three years. I'll need to start finding species further down the frequency list than I have been if I hope to make it. So far, my best sightings, based on reporting frequency, have been: Common Goldeneye (174th), Mute Swan (114th), Fox Sparrow (110th) and Gadwall (104th).  

No comments:

Post a Comment